Saturday, January 26, 2013

R&B Legend Remembered

Sadly, it was during this week in 1984 when we lost soul singer and dynamic live performer Jackie Wilson. He died of a massive heart attack at the age of only 49: still touring; still doing what he loved. Jackie Wilson was from Detroit and I am from the Detroit area. Perhaps I have that accident of location to thank for my musical familiarity with him.

With a voice capable of bordering on operatic, this super talented soul legend could sing ballads capable of bringing a person to teas, and he often did. Yet, known as Mr. Excitement, he could also belt out an R&B classic, destined to become a top 40 smash as well. And aren't we glad he chose to do just that, time and again?

On my rock history twitter feed I've featured Higher and Higher as well as Whisper's Gettin' Louder, two of his later and biggest hits. But now let's take it back a bit further to my own favourite Jackie Wilson record.

1959 - That's Why (I Love You So) by Jackie Wilson



That's another Classic Track LookBack. See ya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment