Sunday, December 16, 2012

LookBack #23: Soulful Tunes

This week's Classic Track LookBack looks back at the man who grew to be known by many as the King of Soul.

When it comes to remembering the rock and soul artists that we've lost during this week over the years, I can't help but reflect on their huge contribution to the music that we love. It has indeed been a bad week for rock and soul artists. In 1964, Sam Cooke was gunned down. In 1980, outside the apartment building where he lived, John lennon was cut down. Finally, we remember December 10, 1967 when Otis Redding and most members of his band were killed in a plane crash. They were flying from Cleveland Ohio, following a live performance when the tragedy occurred. But as is the case when I write about an artist who is no longer with us I want to concentrate on Otis' life rather than his death.

1965 - Respect

During the 60s, as a kid growing up near Detroit, Michigan, I was fortunate to have the choice of two radio stations that pumped out the best in rhythm and blues all day and all night. That's where I first heard Otis' music. For instance, as well as hearing the huge hit version of Respect by Aretha Franklin and the local Detroit hit of the same song done by the Rationals, I got to enjoy the Otis Redding interpretation as he belted out his plea for respect.

Respect

1966 - Try a Little Tenderness

If you were into rock music in the early 70s, as many of my readers were, you no doubt recall Three Dog Night and their version of Try a Little Tenderness. But have you ever heard the Otis Redding version of the song, recorded years before that?

Try a Little Tenderness


1967 - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

When Otis died at age 26, he had never enjoyed significant success on the top 40 charts. But that was about to change. Shortly before his death, he performed at the Monterey Pop Festival. Following that performance, he penned his most famous song, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, just days before his death. After its release, it hit #1 in the US on both the Top 40 and Rhythm and Blues charts. When an album was released with Dock of the Bay as its title track, it went #1 in the UK as well. Was all of this popularity due to the tragic manner in which Otis died? I like to think that the record would have topped the charts regardless of when it was released. Have a listen and see what you think.

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay


1967 - Merry Christmas Baby

Christmas time gives us the chance to recall a couple of Otis Redding Christmas classics. I offered one of them on my #rockhistory Twitter feature during this past week. It was Otis Redding's version of White Christmas. But my favourite Otis Christmas tune was released for Christmas 1967.

Merry Christmas Baby



I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to recalling Otis Redding's true classics. I encourage you to search out more. You might want to start with his first solo release, These Arms of Mine, or maybe Mr. Pitiful, or a great blues tune called I've been Loving You Too Long. Otis Ray Redding Jr, the King of Soul.

Till next time, that's another Classic Track LookBack at rock history. Speaking of rock history, you can find all of my rock history tweets in all of their Storified glory. You can rock the holidays with Maindog too by visiting Rockin' the Holidays with Maindog Sound on Storify. Or best yet, follow me live on Twitter, and see my #rockhistory tweets as I roll them out sitting send from my studio. Do you have a Christmas fave that you love to rock to at Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment