Sunday, July 08, 2012

Round Round Get Around

If I had to choose one song in rock history which signifies summer, It would be I Get Around by the Beach Boys (I'm providing the link for the Boys of Summer, but if you're here, I'm sure you know who they are! #justsaying).

It not only signifies summer...

It screams it!
It shouts it!!
It tells the world about it!!!


A hit that still rocks the Way Back Machine from the Summer of '64, I Get Around was the Beach Boys first #1 45, an accomplishment that might have been helped by the fact that its flip side, Don't Worry Baby was pretty cool in it's own right. In 1992, Beach Boy Mike Love sued his cousin Brian Wilson and won, seeking song writing credit and back royalties over the claim that he, not Brian, wrote recurring lyric "round round get around."

The Sound of Summer!!!

   

But isn't it really more important that the Beach Boys are together and touring again? One more question begs to be answered. How come a blind guy like me picks a car song as the record that signifies summer? 

After all, your sort-of-humble sometimes-writer never drove, right? 

 Well, almost right. There was that night when I was 18... but that's a story for another day. Oh, and besides, the teen me believed that you didn't need to drive to cruise. Back then I didn't elaborate on that particular conviction and I won't now. But I will maintain, and now I have explained why I Get Around still rules. 

'Til next time, that's another classic track look back at rock history.


No comments:

Post a Comment